Re: 1001 ptys useful?

Malcolm Beattie (mbeattie@sable.ox.ac.uk)
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 13:27:01 +0100 (BST)

Albert D. Cahalan writes:

> Might any reasonable system use 1001 pty devices or more?
> What about 10001 pty devices? I need to determine how much
> space to allow for the TTY column in /bin/ps output.

% ls /dev/pts | wc -l
737
% uname -a
OSF1 sable.ox.ac.uk V4.0 878 alpha

Most of those get used too (~550 concurrent users peak) and this
isn't a particularly large Alpha server by today's standards. Some
systems could easily want more than 1001 ptys. 9999 should be OK,
although there are Alpha servers ten times the size of this and it's
always nice to allow room for expansion... I've seen columns of ps
output overrun on various systems though: I never trust straight ps
output (e.g. auxw as opposed to -opid,start style) to be guaranteed
parsable anyway so I shouldn't worry too much.

--Malcolm

--
Malcolm Beattie <mbeattie@sable.ox.ac.uk>
Unix Systems Programmer