Re: Nasty VM lockup with v2.1.108

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Thu, 09 Jul 1998 13:37:10 -0400

Alex Buell wrote:

> Whilst I was on the Internet, my machine _locked_ up so solidly I had to
> reboot (and lost a lot of work - mostly tk/tcl stuff - grr.. really mad
> about that), any way, here's the log of what happened:
>
> Jul 9 00:09:07 tahallah kernel: VM: Releasing swap cache pages at c01239b5<7>

This is just a warning message ... it means that a swap cahce page now
has use count 1.

> Jul 9 00:09:29 tahallah kernel: VM: Removing page cache on unshared page c1cc3000
> Jul 9 00:09:29 tahallah kernel: swap_free: swap-space map bad (entry 00035700)

This first line should just be a warning, but by failing to remove the
page it results in a cascade of messages. The second line occurs because
the swap entry has been released, so repeated attempts to remove the
page then cause reports of the swap map being bad.

I've posted a patch that should take care of things. (Sorry about your
lost work.)

Regards,
Bill