Re: increasing page size

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 19:07:57 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 09, 1998 at 12:05:42PM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> > On Tue, 7 Jul 1998 00:03:04 +0200 (CEST), Rik van Riel
> >
> > Since the struct page was introduced several years ago, we store the
> > free page links in the page map, not inside the page itself.
>
> I'd prefer if this stays so. Otherwise on architectures with virtual
> caches the cache would have to be flushed after unmapping mapped
> pages in order to avoid virtual aliases. Not cheap at all.

What about a per-zone bitmap? That might make things like
page colouring easier to do and requires even less space.

Example colour checking code:

int has_colour(* mem_zone zone, unsigned long colour) {
if (zone->bitmap & 1 << colour)
return 1;
return 0;
}

Of course, this could be arch-specific, or made into a
nice/fast macro...

Rik.