Re: Yet more VM writable swap-cached pages

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Thu, 09 Jul 1998 16:15:32 -0400

Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:

> Jul 9 18:27:30 munchkin kernel: VM: Found a writable swap-cached page!
> Jul 9 18:27:30 munchkin kernel: pte 6a8042, vma flags 00000070, page
^^^^^^
> flags 0000028c, count 2
> Jul 9 18:27:30 munchkin kernel: page=c0206f80@0017da00, found=c0206f80,
> count=3

The pte value above is very puzzling -- it says that the page is not
present, in which case the "writable" bit means PROT_NONE, not writable.
The pte value is tested immediately after dereferencing the page table
to make sure it's present, so I don't see how we could reach this point
without the page being present.

Maybe this is a compiler bug after all ...

Regards,
Bill