Re: everyone who has VM problems/messages (writable swappage or crash or lockup)

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 16:28:05 -0400 (EDT)

On 9 Jul 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Let's not be too happy about egcs. _Some_ of the reports of problems
> were due to legal optimizations done by egcs.
>
> Some were not.

Damn, I was hoping it could be simplified along the lines of what I was
thinking. Clearly there needs to be a warning (something like: "Aiee!
You're using x.x.x, don't come crying to us if your kernel blows up.
Consider this a warning, pinhead(inspired by Alan Cox, 1998).") if the
wrong version of compiler is being used. This will protect these users who
don't bother to eyeball the documentation, and it should reduce the noise
on this mailing list.

:o)

Cheers,
Alex.