Re: Stupid df tricks

Allanah Myles (dossy@panoptic.com)
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 17:45:31 -0400

On 1998.07.08, Richard Gooch <Richard.Gooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU> wrote:
> > Look for texi2html - it makes HTML pages from texinfo documents so you
> > canthen check it out with your latest browser.
>
> I *don't want* to be forced to use a browser. Especially not when I'm
> in text mode.

This isn't sufficient reason to hate html-based documentation, since
anyone who frequently uses text-mode *should* have built lynx a long
time ago. What makes only-html based documentation (or only-info based
documentation for that matter) really obnoxious is that we're robbed
of functionality like apropos/man -k. Yes, I *could* go and
grep -i keyword /usr/local/info/*, but that's just *awkward*.

Anyone who calls html-based and info-based documentation a "step forward"
in the evolution of online documentation probably also thinks that stupid
Paper Clip assistant in Microsoft Office counts as "artificial intelligence".

-Dossy

--
    Now I'm who I want to be, where I want to be, doing what I've always said I
    would and yet I feel I haven't won at all...      (Aug 9, 95: Goodbye, JG.)