Re: 2.1 can't delete routes?

Aaron J. Grier (agrier@cse.ogi.edu)
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 13:46:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Felix von Leitner wrote:

> I can't delete routes with 2.1 kernels except by ifconfig eth0 down and
> then configuring it again, which is a tad inconvenient to do remotely.
> This is an _old_ problem, yet nobody seems to care?

Hmm... I think you just have to be more specific with 2.1:

[root@darth agrier]# route
Kernel IP routing table
10.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth1
[root@darth agrier]# route del -net 10.0.0.0
SIOCDELRT: Invalid argument
[root@darth agrier]# route del -net 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 dev eth1
[root@darth agrier]#

and it goes away. you just have to add the netmask.

----
Aaron J. Grier | agrier@cse.ogi.edu
"We have no intention of shipping another bloated operating system
and forcing that down the throats of our Windows customers."
-- Paul Maritz, Microsoft GVP, regarding JAVA