Re: kernel recompile...questions

Rusty Brooks (rbrooks@utdallas.edu)
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 18:07:03 -0500 (CDT)

On 10 Jul 1998, Dave Mielke wrote:

> There has been much commentary regarding how to preserve an old kernel
> in case the new one does not work. I have not, however, seen any
> commentary about what to do with the modules.

This is a very complex issue, especially since modules that are compiled
in one kernel will often not work in another kernel, even the same version
number.

For preserving I tend to use the same trick as with the kernel (i.e.
links). If the "new" kernel crashes, I reboot to the old, ignore the
module warnings and move the modules back, or fixwhat went wrong. Of
course, this implies that you shouldn't have any system dependant
resources in modules (i.e. if you _need_ an ethernet card to boot
properly, you should have this built into the kernel.

At the very least, you might consider constructing an emergency kernel:
something to use in the last resolt which relies on NO MODULES, and has
just enough functionality to get the system running and fix the problem.

If anyone has a more elegant solution to the modules dilemma, let us know!