Re: Linus Speaks About KDE-Bashing

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 13:38:56 +0200

On Jul 12, Kai Henningsen wrote:

> The GPL is pretty explicit about this. You can use Motif *if and only if*
> Motif comes with your OS, or with your C compiler.
>
> You can use Qt under the exact same conditions.
>
> Problem is, lots of OSes come with Motif, pretty few come with Qt (ISTR
> SuSe and that's it?).
>
> That is, on a system where you don't get Motif libs with either the OS or
> the C compiler, a Motif-linked Emacs is in violation of the GPL - to name
> an example using neither KDE nor Qt.

so I'm not allowed to build a Motif-linked Emacs with Linux because
SuSE doesn't ship Motif by default but I have to buy Motif separately ?
please get real :-(( this is not what at least I understand as _free_ software!

I'm really disappointed (read: pissed off!) how this whole flaming thread
is going on and how advocating around GPL is used to fight _against_
a free software project :-(( not to talk about the giant waste of
man power by every such long ongoing `discussion'...

just FYI: you're collecting more and more points why I personally
don't like GPL anymore and probably won't use it in the future for
some sort of projects. might be that others think similar and you're
going to create severe damage for the free software community
by this flame war!

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\