Re: Linus Speaks About KDE-Bashing

Andreas Kostyrka (andreas@ag.or.at)
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 20:31:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Thomas Gschwind wrote:

> I think we should decide, whether the non-GPL product linked to the
> GPL product is useful on its own (or within another product) or not.
> QT is useful in other products.
Doesn't solve a point: Then BadGuys Inc. will just make a small demo
demonstrating how the cool library can be used.

> By the way: Would it be legal to distribute a patch that changes my
> Gimp installation so that it can be used in combination with QT? In
> this case the user qould modify the GPL code himself...
Probably. But even if this is ok, it is not really acceptable to the KDE
people or BadGuys Inc. because their typical target group doesn't have a
compiler on the system.
(I know, NOW the typical KDE user has a compiler, but wait till KDE
moves into the enduser desktop market. Applying a patch and compiling
is a definite not good here. We are talking about people here that are
to stupid to install software using InstallShield. And yes, I know at
least one person whom I had to tell about SETUP.EXE on the CD, ...)

Andreas