Re: Linus Speaks About KDE-Bashing

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
13 Jul 1998 12:47:02 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.96.980711204724.32240A-100000@nightshade.ml.org>,
<linker@nightshade.ml.org> wrote:

>You hit the nail on the head Alan!
>
>KDE is effectivly not GPLed.. It's under a perverted GPL wannbe.. It's the
>same text as the GPL but since they link to a propritary lib it's not
>GPL..

They don't link to a library that's any more proprietary that Motif.
The logic that you can't link a GPLed program to a non-[L]GPLed
system[1] library is, umm, screwy at best and suicidal at worst.

____
david parsons \bi/ I guess this means that the Linux kernel can't
\/ be GPLed, because it's running on proprietary
BIOSES.

[1: just because Redhat doesn't include it doesn't make it not a
system library.]