Re: Linus Speaks About KDE-Bashing

Karim Yaghmour (karim.yaghmour@Matrox.COM)
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 15:58:16 -0400

At 07:06 PM 7/13/98 +0000, Alex Buell wrote:

>Personally, I'm also worried that we're just playing into Microsoft's
>hands because of all this crap going on. They might even say to their
>corporate bootlickers.. "Oh they're infighting all the time and have no
>coherent strategy overall", thus implying that we are of no consequences
>and not worth bothering with. THIS WILL HURT US IN THE END. FULL STOP.

Forget this whole KDE/Qt/GPL issue for a second and let's settle this
Microsoft/BigGuys/Corporate issue ... I think it would be wrong for the
free software community to start taking decisions based on what BigGuys
inc. has to say about it ... remember the Cathedral and the Bazzar ... This
so-called infighting is the bazzar's way of maintaining it's own self ...
just like a body fights a disease. Chances are that when it's over the
whole body will be stronger. I think that this is what it's all about. Of
course it's painfull, just as fever keeps you in bed.

As to who's right and who's wrong ... this isn't my question to answer ...
but here's my 2cents anyways ... If using Qt in KDE modifies the GPL
conditions under which the Gimp code was released then the KDE guys loose!

Oh and by the way ... please stop playing ego games ... it's wasting
everyone's time!

Thank You!

Karim Yaghmour