Re: "Purify" and "Visual Quantify" for Linux?

Peter Endeborg (pme@ufh.se)
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 23:04:20 +0200

David Wragg wrote:

> Nomad the Wanderer <nomad@orci.com> writes:
> > I have a friend who's working on writing something along the lines of
> > TwadeWars on Steroids and Ultima OnLine. The problem is he's hooked on
> > using Purify and Visual Quantify for sanity's Sake. IF I can find such
> > tools for Linux, I can likely convince him to write a Linux only server
> > and Linux/NT clients instead of aiming pirmarily for NT for Client and
> > Server.
>
> Using gcc/gprof/gcov (gcov comes with egcs (and perhaps gcc-2.8?)) you
> can collect all the information I remember Visual Quantify giving.

I have not found any way to profile line lines or statements withina function
with gprof.

> For those who haven't heard of Visual Quantify: It's a fancy profiling
> and code coverage tool.
>
> It has a GUI that gprof and gcov don't give you; it draws all kinds of
> diagrams, so you don't have to look at numbers, and can hide detail
> with the click of a mouse etc. Personally, although I found it easier
> than reading gprof/gcov output, it wasn't any quicker in realistic use
> because you still need to interpret the information it gives you with
> reference to your source code. If someone really wants a GUI front-end
> to gcov/gprof, doing it would just be a simple matter of programming
> ;-)
>
> (The other selling point of VQ is that it instruments your binaries
> directly, so you don't have to mess about with compiler flags then
> rebuild everything. This would be a neat trick, if it didn't grind
> over the binaries for quite so long.)

Im sure, if there is any commerical software that I would like to see running
on linuxis those very neet tools from Pure Software. (This days from
Rational) Rational Sucks!
I have been in contact with them (sweden) and they only whant to sell Clear
Case Shit or
Rose Joke. After a few days I could order Purify for HPUX, but it was hard.
I requested official statement about pureify for Linux and Digital Unix, but
they did not even
answer. (Im working for big company, so they should smell the money, but they
don't)

> --
> Dave Wragg.
>
> -