Re: Raytheon and Linux

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 20:53:34 -0400 (EWT)

On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Alex Buell wrote:

[ ... Raytheon ... ]
> I can't believe these _are_ the people working with NASA. [I know that
> NASA do use Linux]. I'm just expressing my sheer disgust and venting
> some spleen at being told to deinstall Linux and put back the losing
> operating system, that's all. Maybe I should go drown myself in the
> nearest toilet.
[ ... Raytheon ... ]

OK, I've been told, "Because the Intel box you are using is provided by
the US Government, thou shalt use only what they provide; Windows 95 on a
Intel box *OR* a xterminal connected to a UNIX box." Sheesh. Using the
xterminal blows rocks because the machine it is connected to is constantly
overloaded.

I wonder if there are others in the same position within the company who
feels the same way I do - I expect not - the mind-culture in that company
really is horrible anyway.

As much as I'd love to tell them to take the job and stick it up their
arse; it would entail in a lot of problems for me:

(1) I'm only in the US on a work permit specifically tied to that company
so, if I quit I automatically become an illegal alien and liable to
deportation [and also, I've heard that once that happens you are
automatically barred from entering the country again even on a tourist
visa waiver].

(2) My employers who are UK based have been very good to me; they are just
subcontracted to Raytheon to provide programmers like myself for them to
work on their NASA contract. I don't think I want to upset these people,
but, oh yes I'd love to screw Raytheon and make them *like* it. [And my
employers might want their relocation money back].

So effectively, I'm screwed. But thanks for the support guys, I'll fight
this all the way to the end. [Some of you who mailed me are also with NASA
too] The sooner Raytheon realise they are in the wrong the better.

--
Cheers,
Alex

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk