[OFFTOPIC] Re: Raytheon and Linux

Kurt Watkins (watkins@hhmi.swmed.edu)
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 21:54:50 -0500 (CDT)

Apologies for being offtopic, but I feel obligated to drop a note as my
day job finds me building software systems at Raytheon:-) Raytheon is now
quite a large company, composed of many heritage companies - E-Systems, TI
(defense), Chrysler Electronics, Hughes Aircraft - and like all
traditional defense orgs have a certain stodgy inflexibility about them.
But they do bring cultural differences too, some being more receptive than
others. (E.g., the fvwm window manager was originally born as part of
some signal processing work that Rob Nation was doing at Sanders [now
Lockheed] if I recall correctly.)

I could go on ad nauseum about security crap, but I'd venture to say that
installations like this are not an issue if you deal with the security
folks *before* you do such installs. Some customers have very sharp
concerns about what can be installed on their systems and it usually has
more to do with managing change than it does with the actual "security" of
the software installed. No one serioulsy thinks any MS crap (or anything
else for that matter, paranoia having set in) is secure.

All that to say that you aren't alone in your struggle to use Linux at
Raytheon:-) I know there are active user groups here in Dallas TX (well,
Raytheon System Company, I^2AIS at what used to be E-Systems Garland) and
I'm actively promoting Linux with a few forward thinking customers, some
of which might be quite the surprise. The intelligence community is not as
thick-headed as you might expect, just a little slow (and always wanting
to go faster;-)

It's also something I look for on resumes when I'm out recruiting...

Alex, please stay away from the toilets and be sure to drop me a note if I
can be of any assistance in providing references to Linux users within the
company. In keeping with our remarkably forward approach to technology, I
have no external Raytheon email address but can be reached at
watkins@hhmi.swmed.edu. Meantime, *don't* piss off the security guys.

Cheers,
K.

> From: David Mandala <davidm@them.com>
> Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 14:07:43 -0700
> Subject: Re: Raytheon and Linux
>
> Why not ask them for specifics and make them justify the request?
>
> Quoting Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk):
> > Hi guys
> >
> > I'm just not having a good day today. *sigh* Part of my job involves
> > working with NASA. Recently I installed Linux on my PC to help me work
> > better and more efficiently [I like it so much I was happy to install
it
> > and use it full time at work too]. Now, I've been told by my employers
> > who are subcontracted to the main contractors(Raytheon) that Raytheon
> > wants me to remove Linux for "security reasons", and use Windows 95.
Now