Re: Strange interrupt behaviour

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
15 Jul 1998 02:24:29 +0200

Andrea Arcangeli <arcangeli@mbox.queen.it> writes:

> On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> >Oh, having separate interrupt stacks _works_, and on some architectures it
>
> I hacked irq.c and now seems to work on Linux too ;-).

[...]

This does not seem to handle nested interrupts correctly. A nested IRQ
will overwrite its own stack. Also I think per-IRQ stacks are overkill,
a per-CPU interrupt stack is enough. You can make this stack bigger if you
worry about nested interrupts.

This would also have the benefit of increased cache locality.

-Andi