Re: APM support with the Linux 2.1.108 kernel

Daniel Pittman (danielp@osa.de)
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 09:40:32 +0200

C. Scott Ananian wrote:

[failure to powerdown on shutdown]

> This is actually a user-land change to the shutdown program. Upgrade
> 'shutdown' and use the '-o' option to power-off on shutdown.

Oh. Well, that solves that little problem, but leaves me wondering
something - the kernel APM code is needed to provide the ability, and
the -o uses it, correct?

> This is a known problem that I've attempted to track down many times over
> the past year and a half, without success. I'm out of possible causes,
> and so far I haven't been successful in tracing my BIOS's APM code back to
> any type of evil instruction. <sigh> *BSD is said to work; I wasn't able
> to find any significant differences between the OpenBSD apm code and ours.

This is a persistant laptops never swap to disk issue? If so, I will
have a play with my box and see. I was using a partition to do the
swapping to, and that failed, but I planned to move my root from hda1 to
hda4 (argh!), create a FAT hda1, and use the swap to file option there;
of course, if this is not of any real value (eg: already tried to death
or whatever), please let me know.

Ah, kernel code. Just what I wanted to live in up to my elbows for a
while...

Thanks for the quick response :)

Daniel