Re: 109pre2 video problem with X

Nathan Hand (nathanh@chirp.com.au)
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 22:51:45 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Craig Schlenter wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>
> > That happens to me at least once a day or more, depending on how
> > much I use X. I have a Cirrus 5446 PCI with 2M, and am running
> > 2.0.35. Any attempts at contacting the X people, redhat, or
> > anyone else on any mailing lists have turned up no replies to a
> > fix, but have turned up other users with the same problems with
> > different hardware. Houston, I think we have a problem.
>
> I must admit that I have seen this behaviour before with other kernels but
> a while back I changed from fvwm to KDE (don't anyone start a thread on
> this please) and the problems seemed to go away. Then my hard drive
> crashed and I re-installed and I'm back to fvwm (if anyone has compiled
> KDE 1.0 for RH 5.1 drop me a note please) and whammo problems once again.
>
> I must admit that I remember the original problems being less frequent and
> not worth bothering about.
>
> I suppose a good question at this point (since there seems to be little
> else in common) is do you use fvwm too? FVWM can certainly scroll in a
> similar fashion to the effects I am seeing (from my .fvwmrc):
>
> # press arrow + meta key, and scroll by 1/10 of a page
> Key Left A M Scroll -10 +0
> Key Right A M Scroll +10 +0
> Key Up A M Scroll +0 -10
> Key Down A M Scroll +0 +10
>
> This isn't quite the same effect but it's close. If it is a fvwm thing
> then the question is what is triggering it?
>
> Ideas, comments?

I don't know if this is relevant, but since when has that stopped
people posting to linux-kernel...

In days long past, when X would sometimes crash without restoring
the text mode, I would be left with a "text" console with the GUI
still displayed in the framebuffer. Pressing return resulted in a
scroll to the left, presumably by exactly 80 pixels in 8 bit mode
or 40 pixels in 16 bit mode.

I suspect text is still being sent to the console that X is using
and the software scrolling is naughtily moving the graphics by an
amount that would work fine in text mode, but causes a horizontal
scroll in graphics mode. Any console messages (say generated when
mounting a CD, or modprobing sound modules) would be problems.

If this isn't the problem, then I hope everybody enjoyed avoiding
the off-topic KDE/GNOME flamewar while reading this message.