Re: ext2fs: do directories ever shrink?

Daniel Egger (Daniel.Egger@t-online.de)
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 16:29:31 +0200

On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Slyglif Cain wrote:

>I realize this has probably been brought up before, but wouldn't it be
>possible to cache the entire directory tree/inode list from a drive?
>Granted, it would take up a large amount of memory, but for systems
>with a lot of memory to spare (96+ MB), it would offer a huge
>performance increase. Also, it would be a good way to use memory over
>64MB on motherboards which only cache up to 64MB, since even uncached
>memory blows disk away. Perhaps making the amount of memory used by
>this cache configurable at boot time would be helpful as well.

It would be nice to use this memory above 64MB just for caching
files. Pssobly it would even improve the overall performance
because we could make this feature a compile time option to just use
memory above the cacheable one for file cache and thus make a
smaller and more efficient paging system. Further I guess the L2
doesn't cause big speed improvements to the filecache if the files
aren't used very often in a very short time....

--

Servus, Daniel