Re: DLLs ... [OFFTOPIC]

DAVID BALAZIC (david.balazic@uni-mb.si)
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 13:30:43 +0100 (MET)

Kurt Garloff (K.Garloff@ping.de) wrote :

>On Thu, Jul 16, 1998 at 12:29:09PM +0530, Somnath Roy wrote:
>> Is there any guideline for writing DLLs in Linux ?
>
>What you want to use are shared libraries in Un*x/Linux land, probably,
>like /lib/libc.so ... (so = shared object)
>
>gcc -fPIC -O2 -c file1.c
>gcc -fPIC -O2 -c file2.c
>gcc -shared -Wl,-soname,libXY.so.1 -o libXY.so.1.0 file1.o file2.o ...
>ln -s libXY.so.1.0 libXY.so.1
>ln -s libXY.so.1 libXY.so
>
>Linking to library:
>gcc -o executable -L/path/to/lib -lXY exec1.o exec2.o ...

Is -fPIC neccesary ?
Do lib*.so files have no reloc tables ?

I compiled once a shared library without -fPIC and it didn't give me no troubles.

And another question :

How to make a shared library to contain a statical library ?

Like : gcc superlib1.o superlib2.o -lmytools -shared -o libsuper.so

I want the libmytools.a code to be part of libsuper.so ( that is : statically linked to it )

egcs 1.03 defaults to dynamic link , even if only the static ( libmytools.a ) version is avaliable.

--
David Balazic , student
E-mail   : 1stein@writeme.com     |     living in  sLOVEnija