Re: Stability assessment - late model 2.0.xx kernels

Stephane Bortzmeyer (bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr)
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 10:13:33 +0200

On Friday 17 July 1998, at 15 h 14, the keyboard of Dancer
<dancer@brisnet.org.au> wrote:

> We have several servers running 2.0.32, SMP, and multiple busy adaptec
> aic7xxx controllers.
> I recall reading that 2.0.34 was 'toxic' to the aic7xxx code (or vice
> versa). What we _really_ need is good, stable, immune kernels that we

With *some* Adaptec 2940 cards (I don't think there is a comprehensive list of those who work and those who didn't), the new 5.0 Adaptec driver (which appeared with kernel 2.0.34 and was lihlty updated in 2.0.35), fails: CD-ROMs not detected at all, various errors at the intialization or after, in heavy use.

On the same machines, 2.0.33 runs perfectly fine. For the people with theses cards, 2.0.34 was not a maintenance version :-(

If you need 2.0.35 features and if, after testing, you see that you are the lucky owner of one of the offending cards, just copy drivers/scsi/aic7xxx* from the 2.0.33 tree in 2.0.35 and recompile. It works for me.