Re: 2.0.35 and aic7xxx

Doug Ledford (dledford@dialnet.net)
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 05:11:49 -0500

Patrick D. Wildi wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Aaron D. Turner wrote:
>
> > Just thought I'd let people know that the 2940 Ultra-Wide with the
> > "1.24 Dell05" BIOS does work. Still can't get BIOS version 1.23 to work
> > though.
>
> I have a 2940UW with 1.23 BIOS. Linux 2.0.35 (and 34) have no problem
> finding my first HD (WD WDE2170-1807A1) ultra-wide) but only sporadically
> finds my second HD (IBM DCAS 34330W, not ultra).
>
> I am having this problem since the later 5.0.x aic7xxx driver versions.
> Haven't tried the 5.1.x prereleases. The old 4.x drivers (with 2.0.33
> and earlier) worked fine.
>
> Playing around with the BIOS settings did not help much (just make
> if more likely to find the HD), but did fix another problem I had
> with 2.0.34 (SCSI CD was not recognized).

I would strongly suggest that anyone having problems like these with the
aic7xxx driver give the 5.1.0 pre releases a shot. The current pre release
is pre3 and was just released this morning. The major advantage here is
that this release should work quite well on all non-Ultra2 cards and on
Ultra2 it should actually work now as long as you are using Ultra2 devices
on the Ultra2 controller. There appears to be a problem still yet with
narrow, single ended devices on Ultra2 controllers. If someone gets their
Ultra2 controller to work with a narrow, single ended device, I would
appreciate knowing.

For those that don't know, the location is
ftp.dialnet.net:/pub/linux/aic7xxx/testing for the pre-release patches, and
for pre3 there are patches against 2.0.34, 2.0.35, 2.1.108, and 2.1.109.

--

Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net> Opinions expressed are my own, but they should be everybody's.