Re: Oops, what to do?

Dominik Kubla (dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de)
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 00:36:15 +0200

On Fri, Jul 17, 1998 at 08:06:59PM +0200, Krzysztof G. Baranowski wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Michael Nelson wrote:
> > Has anyone tried to compile ksymoops recently? I followed the instructions
> > inside the file:
> [...]
> > My system oopses like CRAZY with 2.1.108 & 109. I've wanted to post a

Well i did just that, using the sources from 2.1.109 and egcs. The only
difference is that i linked against libstdc++ instead of libiostream.

> > proper report, but I can't even get ksymoops to compile.
> Perhaps it's about time to replace the original ksymoops by the one
> written in plain C. Gerd Knorr wrote very nice ksymoops some time ago
> (along with insmod-wrapper script). Because it's quite small (circa 5
> kB) I attached it below.

But does it handle OOPSen from Alpha/Arm/Sparc/Sparc64? I just discovered
that the kernel-distributed version will only do x86 and 680x0 OOPSen...

I think it's about time to (finally) introduce Linux to do memory dumps to
the swap partition and preserve these dumps at bootup for further inspection:
I could only get the full OOPS of my Alpha, when i hooked my laptop as serial
console and let it log the message to file... If i had only one system i would
have been lost, no way to get all the information!

Dominik Kubla