Re: question

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer (linux@microsoft.sucks.eu.org)
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 01:07:19 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998 rcooper@crstexas.com wrote:

> Im trying to find information on the /proc/kcore file. I have noticed on
> all my Linux boxes, the size of this file is always the same size of
> installed system memory. So on one particular box with 128 meg of memory,
> the size of this file is 134221824 bytes. My question is what is this
> file used for and more importantly why is this file so large? This seems
> to be a waste of diskspace.

The /proc/kcore file *is* your system memory.
It's not a waste of diskspace because anything in /proc is not actually on
a harddisk, /proc is just a virtual filesystem generated by the kernel to
let you access information as if it were stored in files.

LLaP
bero

--
Windows 98 supports real multitasking - it can boot and crash simultaneously.
***