Re: 2.1.109p2 on UDB

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@adelphia.net)
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 12:28:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Dominik Kubla wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 18, 1998 at 08:29:57AM -0400, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
> > Dominik,
> >
> > Perhaps I'm being quite dense, but how do your patches deal with the
> > missing memsetw* symbols? Are you using an FB console rather than VGACON?
> > If so, how is it used? I found weeks of arguments over its technical
> > merits - without a single shred of information on how one actually USES
> > this feature. Very, very frustrating.
>
> Ahh, you have a VGA card in your UDB, right? I am using the builting TGA
> which does not use the VGA driver: it uses tgafb instead.
>

> > Steve
> >
> > BTW, my memset patches do not work. It just hangs on boot, as has every
> > kernel since about 104..
>
> Won't even compile cleanly at my end... I'll check the x86 stuff and look
> what can done about it. Looks to me like there is still a lot to do before
> 2.2: sparc32 is a no-go, alpha only after some patching...

Ok, I reverted to TGA and rebuilt with tga fb + your latest patches. Now,
it goes through the initial motions of booting; only to die with page
after page of:

free_one_pmd: bad directory entry 0xnnnnnnnnnnnn

(where 0 < nnnnnnnn < (1<<64))

followed by total lockup :-(.

I'm throwing in the towel for now. Apparently alpha linux no longer has
the attention of any core developers. We really need a champion on this
platform who can perform the wonders that Jakub and davem do for Sparc and
Linus does for Intel linux. Richard Henderson has been (I'd guess) too
busy with his real job at Cygnus to keep after the recent breakage.

Thanks for your input, though.

Steve