Re: Memory Rusting Effect [re: Linux hostile to poverty]

David B. Rees (dbr@oto.dyn.ml.org)
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 12:37:33 -0700 (PDT)

On 18-Jul-98 Andrew Derrick Balsa wrote:
> Sorry Martin, I have two machines with monochrome adapters, but:
>
> - Machine 1 is an AMD 386DX-40 box with 4 Mb of RAM, 120Mb hard disk, running
> an
> early 2.0.x kernel version. It has been rebooted about once every 6 months
> for
> the last 18 months. Running Apache 1.1.x and some other daemons. Obviously I
> can't test 2.1.10x kernels on this box (and don't want to, even though I
> would
> really appreciate the improved network performance).

This brings up another question... People have noted that 2.1.109 is much
better on 8MB machines, but what about 4MB machines? Has anyone tried it?
Maybe I'll give it a shot today and post my results...

-Dave