Re: vesa & v2.1.109

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 18:14:47 -0400 (EWT)

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> AFAIK (I'm no VGA expert at all) you need VBE 2.0 to get a _linear_
> frame buffer. There's no support for mapped-in-64K-window stuff, and
> it's not trivial to add it.

Bugger! :o( I'd have hoped to keep my 486 running well into the 21st
century ;o) Maybe you could have a word with that scitechsoft guy - he
does a lot of VESA stuff and might be able to help - he's the one who
asked about 8k I/O remap stuff earlier this week (forgotten his name
though!)

He does have a DOS UNIVBE driver that actually adds VESA 2.0 emulation to
the graphic cards that are limited to VESA 1.2, so it is possible to write
a vesafb 1.2 module that adds vesa 2.0 functionality.

Cheers,
Alex

--
 /\_/\  Legalise cannabis now!