Re: Cant' switch to VESA VGA (I wanna see the grafik logo!)

Jon M. Taylor (taylorj@ecs.csus.edu)
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 19:55:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Bradley Baetz wrote:

> > > Well, I have 2 VESA Text modes in the list if tell the kernel "vga=ask"
> > > and the kernel tells me that i have a vesa card in the headline of
> > > "vga=ask" (but i don't know if this means that it is a VESA 2.0 card
> > > which supports a linear frame buffer). The code after the "check_vesa"
> > > mark in linux/arch/i386/boot/video.S just returns if the mode is ok or
> > > not - what's about a more verbose message? ("badmdt" does not tell
> > > anything except that it does not work. :-)
> > >
> > > But I guess that the S3 Virge card is VESA 2 compatible (it's not a very
> > > old card). I can't find any manuals - so I'm not absolute sure about this.
> > > How can I find out if I can use my card or not?
> >
> > I think S3 Virge BIOS supports only VESA 1.2 :-(
>
> What about a Trio32? X says:
> (--) S3: PCI: Trio32/64 rev 0, Linear FB @ 0xff000000
> but I don't think its a VESA 2 card.

It is the BIOS that is VESA, not the chipset.

> There appears to be an fbcon for
> S3Trio, but its in the config only for PowerMacs, and refers internally
> to trio64 cards.

Yeah. There are enough differences that any Trio64 driver would
take to tweaking to work properly with Trio32 chipsets. Not a huge amount
of tweaking, but some.

> Is there any point in using this type of FB? I want the
> vgafb so that I can use multiple modes on different VCs, but will the
> graphical framebuffers give anything else.

Yes:

* The ability to use fonts of arbitrary dimension
* The ability to use fonts with more than 512 characters
* The ability to run X without needing suid root privs
* The ability to run SVGALib programs without needing suid root privs
* Multihead capabilities

> Then again, fbset-2.0-pre-19980713 won't compile -
> gcc -Wall -O3 -c lex.yy.c -o lex.yy.o
> In file included from modes.l:21:
> fbset.h:34: parse error before `__u32'
> fbset.h:34: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
> and goes on from there.
> glibc-2.0.7, gcc 2.7.2.3

Hm. Compiled fine for me. Latest public EGCS, latest libc5.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'
	- Scientist G. Richard Seed