Re: some low-memory 2.1.109 compile times

Andrea Arcangeli (arcangeli@mbox.queen.it)
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 14:25:20 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, Robert Hamilton wrote:

>In each case I rebooted [1] 2.1.109 and mem=8M or =12M option.
>Starting with pre-cleaned source, timed 'make zImage' [2]
>with the following options and results:

Could you try to repeat some test decreasing the number of inode-max (as
suggested by Bill?)?

echo 300 >/proc/sys/fs/inode-max
^^^ or less

This should decrease the swapping.

>Just to see if anything interesting happens:
>mem = 8 MB, no swap enabled
> overcommit = 0, compile fails with out-of-memory enabled

Nice!

> overcommit = 1, box grinds to a halt, but responds to alt-SysRq

Should be the expected thing.

Andrea[s] Arcangeli