Re: Memory Rusting Effect [re: Linux hostile to poverty]

Joel Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 09:42:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > exceed 10-20% of whatever they asses the value of the goods to be rather
> > than say, what I consider the replacement value of a 486 with 16mb for
> > shipping and insurance purposes. This amounts to highway robery by armed
> > bandits masquerading as government officials.
>
> So you advocate 3rd world armed rebellion over making Linux run on small
> memory architectures ?
>
> I wouldnt go quite that far personally

Actually It's more like an armed rebellion against customs officials...
Realisically I think 16MB is an attainable goal for most 486's and if
you're running any os short of just plain dos you should probably shoot
for that much, particularly if it's being used in some sort of server
application.

> -
> Please read the FAQ at http://www.altern.org/andrebalsa/doc/lkml-faq.html

Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E