Re: KNFSD

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 21:18:41 -0400

Alan Cox wrote:

> As it stands right now the Alpha uses 32bit inodes so the Alpha comes to
>
> 8 (pointer)
> 8 (2 kdev_t)
> 12 (3 ino_t)
>
> Which gives us 28 bytes/file handle (limit is 32)
>
> For the Ultrasparc however we use 64bit inode_t's and this leaves us
>
> 8 (pointer)
> 8 (2 kdev_t)
> 24 (3 ino_t)
>
> putting us over the limit.
>
> Dave: since nobody is actually using the top half of the ino_t on the sparc
> right now can I do a quick 2.2 fix and do
>
> typedef u32 knfs_ino_t
>
> and use that and do casts ? If so I'll send Linus a fix tonight and its
> another one crossed off the list.

Hi Alan,

I had a somewhat more comprehensive change in mind, which hopefully will
head off problems of this sort in the future. (E.g. when kdev_t becomes
a pointer to a table entry, as seems to be the design intent.)

I'm testing the patch now and will have it ready tomorrow. There may be
a shortage of 64-bit testers though; the alpha folks seem to be having
other problems.

Regards,
Bill