death of umsdos greatly exaggerated

Matthew Wilcox (willy@odie.barnet.ac.uk)
Tue, 21 Jul 1998 16:17:08 +0100 (BST)

It would have been nice to be cc'd on this, since I didn't read it until
today. Anyway:

I agree that there are often times when you wish to share files between
DOS and Linux. But you can do this just as well by using the ordinary
FAT filesystem. Yes, you don't get a long name for it or unix-style
permissions, but you do get to control the name which DOS sees; which
is something you can't do with umsdos, i believe?

There's the issue of not sharing free space between Linux and DOS.
People are working on things like resize2fs which might alleviate some
of the problems.

There also exist tools for DOS (and many other OSes) that allow one to
access ext2 filesystems. I had a URL for a DOS one once, but I can't
find it now.

As to the backup, the ext2 partition exists as a file under DOS.
Any decent backup program will perform compression and perform the
backup in a reasonably effective manner. Admittedly, you can't extract
individual files from this form of backup either.

I guess UMSDOS does still have its purpose and this is a complementary
method. But it does what I need which is that it stops me from having to
write UADFS ;-) Seriously, I would like to see this go into the kernel
before 2.2. The question I am most asked at ARM Linux exhibitions is
`Can I install it without repartitioning', followed closely by `Is card
XYZ supported yet?'.