archive access (was Re: Kernel v2.3.x)

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 03:43:46 -0400 (EDT)

Chris Wedgwood writes:

> Anyhow, people should be downloading patches where possible,
> not entire kernel tree's. In fact, maybe only 1 in every 5 full
> kernel trees should be made available to encourage people to be
> more responsible with the bandwidth.

The main archive site tends to stop responding when a stable
kernel is released. Mirror sites are ineffective because they
are not updated promptly and are hard to choose. Most people
don't learn to use patches and bzip2 files. Some ideas:

1. Files are made available in this order:
patch.bz2 tarball.bz2 patch.gz tarball.gz
There would be an intentional delay of 1 day between each file
release for development kernels, and 3 days for stable kernels.
This would strongly encourage use of the bzip2 patch files.
Non-http access may get an additional delay, to support idea #2.

2. Web access to www.kernel.org does an automatic http redirect
based on the client IP, domain, or partial traceroute. I'd get
redirected to a site near BBN and NEARnet hopefully. The main
archive site gets a new name for emergency access without redirect.
(something ugly like dont-abuse-me.kernel.org)

3. Mirror sites get a push feed. Mirror sites that do not respond
to the push feed are considered dead and do not get redirects.
The main site does not make files directly available until
after it has tried to feed all mirror sites.

4. To reduce the resources needed to run a mirror site, an admin
may remove old files, tarballs, and/or gzipped files. They
must notify the main site (during the push feed?) so that users
won't be redirected to files that don't exist. To simplify the
records kept by the redirection software, mirror sites may need
to choose from a set of predefined archive subsets.

Hopefully somebody already has code and it works great.