Re: Memory Rusting Effect [re: Linux hostile to poverty]

Christer Weinigel (wingel@hog.t1.ctrl-c.liu.se)
22 Jul 1998 10:01:23 -0000

In article <vyzhg0a8bx6.fsf@issan.informatik.uni-dortmund.de>,
Andreas Schwab <schwab@issan.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:
>No. The Right Thing is not to use float or double in the kernel. Better
>add this to the CFLAGS:
>
>-Ddouble="don't use floating point in the kernel"
>-Dfloat="don't use floating point in the kernel"

That isn't enough. I managed to mess up myself by using a macro which
looked something like:

#define ms_to_jiffies(n) ((n) * 0.001 * HZ)

which worked just fine for some constant values, but for some other
value it put floating point operations into the assembly code causing
a panic at run time.

/Christer