Re: Hack for Sound question

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 07:52:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998 woody@chunnel.oca.udayton.edu wrote:

> Not to take away from the important kernel hacking, but I have a tiny
> question of opinion to ask. I wanted to tweak the sb_mixer code around a
> bit to automaticly save and restore mixer levels whenever the mixer is
> accessed. It just irks me to have to reset it each time I reboot my
> computer. ;)
>
> I was wondering where the best place to store the mixer
> settings "permanently" would be.
>
> A standard file? say in /var or /tmp?
> Or would the /dev/nvram be a safe place to store these settings? And how
> much space is available in /dev/nvram?

How about downloading and installing the program called "mixer"
which I believe is on sunsite. It is a command line based mixer
for Linux. You can put it in one of your rc scripts such as
rc.local to set the default volumes for your soundcard. This is
not a kernel issue really.

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS. http://www.redhat.com