Re: 2.1.109 CDROM wierdness

Mike (mike@oakley.keble.ox.ac.uk)
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 19:06:33 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Daniel Thom wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Mike wrote:
>
> > My CD drive keeps spinning up in 2.1.109. It's got an audio CD in and the
> > CD isn't playing.
> >
> > lsmod shows:
> > ide-cd 20256 0 (autoclean)
> > cdrom 9464 0 (autoclean) [ide-cd]
> >
> > and I can't think of any reason why anything would have attempted to
> > access the cdrom at all since I rebooted.
> >
> > Playing the CD does work.
> >
> > Also, the CD drive seems to be locked (although this could be a symptom of
> > a buggered drive rather than a kernel thing).
>
> You wouldn't happen to be running something like KDE would you?

Nope.

> Are you running any CD player software or what? A list of processes

Nothing that should have been accessing it.

> currently running when this is happening may be useful. If you are
> running KDE, I know the CD player locks the drive. It may even be
> spinning the CD up to try to look up the CDDB information.

It seems to be fixed in 2.1.110. It starts doing it very early on (like
just after init starts) and carries on indefinately.

--
Mike <rickettm@ox.compsoc.net>

"I DO want your money, because god wants your money!" -- The Reverend Jimmy, from _Repo_Man_