Re: inodes are not cleared!

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 14:57:21 -0400

kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

> To be honest, I suspect you are not right here.
> At least, networking asked for get_empty_inode(),
> so that it has right to expect really empty one 8)

Hi Alexey,

In this case "empty" means "not assigned to a device and hashed", not
"set to zero".

> Look at "struct inode", it contains whole screen of fields.
> We cannot expect, that networking in general
> (and particularly, me 8)) knows something about i_flock, i_mmap etc. etc.

I agree with your principle here, and I don't think you'll find i_flock
etc giving any trouble to the network layer. If they do, it's probably a
bug in the code responsible for managing that field.

But in the case of i_flag, it's apparently a required field for the VFS
functions being used by the networking layer, so networking needs to
give it a correct value.

Regards,
Bill