Re: Archive Access

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 16:31:29 -0400 (EDT)

Billy Harvey writes:

> However, instead of creating more work for the archive maintainers,

Scripting is something you do once. If that is too hard, I'm sure
many of us could help. (even me, if they are desperate)

> why not use some of the tools we already have, such as email of
> patches, and that-never-quite-took-off program called fsp?

That is no change: people won't use it. I can't blame them either,
because those tools are awkward and non-obvious.

This ought to severely reduce the load:

1. Use a time delay to encourage the use of bzip2 and patches.
2. Use http redirects to make mirror usage automatic.
3. To support #2, use a time delay to encourage http.
4. Push feed the mirror sites.

More bandwidth is great of course, but it costs money and is
never enough.