Re: ftp.kernel.org full of lamers not using mirrors. (Possible f

Raymond W. Lucke IV (data@ccom.net)
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 15:47:13 -0700 (PDT)

On 22-Jul-98 Tom Rini wrote:
> As one of the many lamers who's slowly overloading kernel.org, is there a
> list of mirrors anyplace? Might be one of the reasons lots of people use
> ftp.kernel.org.

I would like to propose something for ftp.kernel.org....
create ftp1.kernel.org, ftp2.kernel.org, etc.. that way, it will be like
Netscape's site (I never just use ftp.netscape.com, I ping them and find the
one with the best ping time, and ftp it down.)

Then, on www.kernel.org, create a big list of all the servers and their
locations..

like so:

ftp1.kernel.org (USA - San Jose, CA)
ftp2.kernel.org (USA - Seattle, WA)
ftp3.kernel.org (USA - New York, NY)
ftp4.kernel.org (USA - Boston, MA)
ftp5.kernel.org (Finland - Helsinki)

etc... And make them all a-href's to the site/srcdirectory combination.

My thoughts.
Raymond W. Lucke IV