Re: Low-memory compile times

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 09:27:41 +0200 (MEST)

John Campbell wrote:
> The machine is 99% idle except for kernel builds... I don't use it
> for anything except testing new kernels for stability and such before I move
> them over to my production servers. (Well, that and RC5... but that's niced
> to the point that it shouldn't interfere with anything. I can try it again
> without the RC5 client running if anyone thinks it makes a difference.) I
> suspect that the extra cycles are going to swapping operations, because I've
> noticed that the 2.1 kernels on this machine hit the swap a lot earlier and
> use a lot more of it.

I've noticed some "scheduling" strangeness on 2.1.x kernels too.

2.1 seems to schedule some things differently, so that when I move a
window about, it sometimes lags behind in a way that it didn't do on
2.0 kernels. This makes it feel sluggish. It may actually be
scheduling something faster so that this increases the workload.

I also kill the RC5 client when I need disk intensive jobs done. It
seems to slow stuff down, because the rc5 client sometimes gets
scheduled when a disk-IO is done.

Vague impressions, not backed up by numbers. Feel free to try and
benchmark some of my vague impressions....

Roger.

--
Actor asks a collegue: "To what do you owe your success in acting?"
Answer: "Honesty. Once you've learned how to fake that, you've got it made."