Re: 2.1.109 and ppp

Aaron J. Grier (agrier@cse.ogi.edu)
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 18:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Aaron J. Grier wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Jean Meloche wrote:
>
> > Got 2.1.109 running. I can't ftp more than 40k or so through the ppp
> > connection. Ncftp simply stops making progress.
>
> I've noticed this as well with 2.1.106ac3, and done tcpdumps on both sides
> of an scp to see what was going on. Apparently acks from the ppp host
> aren't making it back to the sender, even though the linux box thinks it's
> sending acks over the link. (This according to tcpdump.)

FWIW, all hangs have gone away by turning off tcp_sack on the machine
connected with ppp with "echo 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_sack"

I've got tcpdumps of hangs if anybody's interested.

----
Aaron J. Grier | agrier@cse.ogi.edu
"I generally find that a goat isn't really necessary, but bloodying
one's fingers while installing the system and SCSI chain does seem to
correlate with more reliable operation." -- Leonard N. Zubkoff