Re: archive access

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 16:12:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> What happened ? It completely destroyed my kernel tree. I don't know
> why - perhaps the existence of a symlink as the top of my kernel tree
> (linux -> linux-2.1.1.06), perhaps some missing options to patch. I
> ended up with every *new* file since 2.1.106 present in
> /usr/src/linux. I considered backing out the patches with patch -R,
> and then realized that this wouldn't necessarily work correctly
> either.

I've had this happen to me in the past. The only safe and sure way is to
put the patch file in /usr/src, cd to the linux-2.1.x directory, type in
zcat ../patch-2.1.x.gz | patch -p1. Never patch from within the /usr/src
directory - that sometimes causes problems. Oh, and make sure you have the
latest version of patch (2.5 from the gnu archives).

Cheers,
Alex.

---
 /\_/\  Legalise cannabis now!