Re: archive access

Sat, 25 Jul 1998 00:29:46 +0100

On Fri, Jul 24, 1998 at 03:10:06PM -0400, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> Last week, to get my kernel from 2.1.106 to 2.1.110, I downloaded the
> relevant 4 patch files, and proceeded to apply them. Now, I don't
> claim to be a wizard with patch(1), but its not exactly a new tool
> to me.
> So, I got on the line, and sucked down 2.1.110. It took about
> 6.5hrs. It sucked, but what was the alternative ? I'm sure there was
> one, and in fact, I'd love to understand what happened. But consider
> this situation for someone who is a little newer to this stuff than me.

If you've been downloading patches so far, why not keep them somewhere
handy for when you make a mistake? I've got all of the v2.1 directory
locally so I can browse older patches from time to time, and it only
takes 28.5MB, downloaded over nearly 2 years.

(To 2.1.109, includes linux-2.1.0.tar.gz and various modutils but no
.bz2 files).

If something has to be done about the .tar.gz files, I'd second the
suggestion of keeping every only 10 versions. With more spacing than
that there really are too many patches to download if you have to start
from scratch.

-- Jamie