2.0.35 gp/oops

Matthew Hawkins (matt@mail.goldweb.com.au)
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 10:58:36 +1000

I got the following last night, not surprisingly the machine was dead when
I got into work this morning:

(yes, it was cleaned up from syslog with s/^.*kernel\:\ //g)

general protection: 0000
CPU: 0
EIP: 0010:[wake_up+53/244]
EFLAGS: 00010286
eax: 001d7154 ebx: 03004302 ecx: 004fe814 edx: 90000000
esi: 00000246 edi: 004fe810 ebp: 001d6804 esp: 001d67f8
ds: 0018 es: 0018 fs: 002b gs: 0018 ss: 0018
Process swapper (pid: 0, process nr: 0, stackpage=001d49a0)
Stack: 004fe7f4 0de54e98 00000202 0000b808 001259fc 004fe814 0de54e98 0000b860
0000000a 001b1d5d 0de54e98 0de54e98 00000001 00000018 0000b808 0000000a
00000000 001b2289 0000b808 00000001 0000000a 00000000 0000b808 000007ce
Call Trace: [unlock_buffer+236/380] [end_scsi_request+161/352] [rw_intr+665/1300] [aic7xxx_done+1277/1308] [scsi_done+1660/1672] [do_aic7xxx_isr+150/772] [do_IRQ+45/80]
[IRQ10_interrupt+95/132] [sys_idle+92/112] [system_call+85/124] [init+0/612] [start_kernel+424/436]
Code: 8b 02 83 f8 02 74 07 8b 02 83 f8 01 75 68 9c 5e fa c7 02 00
Oops: 0000
CPU: 0
EIP: 0010:[__wait_on_page+140/176]
EFLAGS: 00010016
eax: 23517320 ebx: 04421f48 ecx: 004fe801 edx: 23517320
esi: 00000246 edi: 04421f48 ebp: 004fe7f4 esp: 04421f3c
ds: 0018 es: 0018 fs: 002b gs: 002b ss: 0018
error: exit: Identifier removed
Process squid (pid: 3035, process nr: 16, stackpage=04421000)
Stack: 00003000 0d0ccbf4 00000000 0dbb0c0c 004fe801 0011c2f7 004fe7f4 00000000
0d0ccbf4 00002000 083baf00 00000006 00000000 00003000 00003000 00000000
00000001 00000001 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00122418 083baf00
Call Trace: [generic_file_read+879/1524] [sys_read+192/232] [system_call+85/124]
Code: 8b 42 04 39 d8 74 05 89 c2 eb f5 90 89 4a 04 56 9d a1 88 a5

The server is a P166 (non-mmx) w/ 256Mb SDRAM on an Abit PX5 mb
The scsi controller is an Adaptech 2940UW with two IBM DCAS-34330W drives
doing RAID0 with the md driver, used as proxy cache (system is on an IDE)
The box is primarily a squid server, no other services really run.
Ksymoops wouldn't parse the above.. guess I did something stupid with the log.
If anybody cares to take a look, I'm happy to provide any other details that
I've probably left out.

I'm suspecting a hardware problem with the box as squid is frequently killed
off with segmentation violations, "block on freelist isn't free" messages
occasionally, and "kfree of non-kmalloced memory". I haven't seen the freelist
one since upgrading it to 2.0.35 (I think it was tripping the route cache bug
in the .34pre patches).

I'm about to turn off the L2 cache since 512Kb doesn't quite do 256Mb ;)
I'm also seriously considering running a 2.1 kernel on it instead.

Matthew Hawkins <matt@goldweb.com.au> |
WWW: http://www.goldweb.com.au/~matt/ | "Do not taunt happy fun troll."
UID 0 @ Goldweb Internet +61262530059 |
PGP: 1024/273E35E1  -  01 8D 6C 62 4C D1 05 3D  0F 59 5B E3 81 9F 59 B9

- To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.rutgers.edu Please read the FAQ at http://www.altern.org/andrebalsa/doc/lkml-faq.html