Re: 2.1.111 is even more 'stuck on smp_invalidate_needed IPI wait'

George (greerga@nidhogg.ham.muohio.edu)
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 14:04:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

>> 2.1.110 had only one 'stuck on smp_invalidate_needed IPI wait (CPU#12)'
>> message right after freeing unused kernel memory. Had some occasions
>> where I didn't get the message at all. 2.1.109 didn't have any problems
>
>It means someone broke the bootup sequence somehow. The message is caused
>when one CPU tries to send a message to the other CPU's and they don't
>respond in a sane time. The kernel punts the request and carries on. You
>should be worried if you ever see any expect during a crash.

Something during the IO-APIC changes and addition of 64 IO-APIC IRQs in
2.1.110 caused those messages for me. (Tyan Tomcat IV) I've never gotten
them <= 2.1.109 but get 2 on every boot into 2.1.110, unless I'm lucky that
boot and get 1, rarely 0.

It hasn't caused a crash or anything else nasty, they only occur between
'freeing memory' and init booting.

-George