Re: 2.1.111: CONSOLE: STILL reproducible oddities

bytor@tucka.nmhu.edu
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 19:41:16 -0400 (EWT)

On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Jon Evans wrote:

> Well, I tried the same with pre-112-1 and I was about to report that the
> problem had gone, because I couldn't reproduce it. Then I had the smart
> idea of pressing <Up, Return> lots of times to put some work in the
> keyboard buffer, then switching to another vt and doing the same. I got
> about 0.5 seconds of motionless screen (list of files, but offset left /
> right by about 1/2 screen) before the machine spontaneously hard booted
> itself. NB I don't run any watchdogs, hard or soft.

FWIW, I reported a occurrence of nearly the exact same thing a couple
versions back (I think the first time the new console was in ... 107?). It
happened during a "make config" and I was holding down return to fly down
to the changes I wanted to make... Screen was "half-shifted" like you
describe, then a hard reboot. Some filesystem peculiarities also
accompanied this, but they seem unrelated.

--
       | bytor@tucka.nmhu.edu | UNIX _is_ user-friendly. It's just not |