Re: VESA VGA Frame Buffer

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 09:50:41 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Sid Boyce wrote:
> Martin Mares wrote:
> No, you have selected a _text_ mode, so the normal text mode driver got used.
>
> Anyway, it seems your VGA doesn't support linear frame buffer :(
> Sid Boyce writes:
> Possibly wrong version, these are the reports I have for the Stealth 3D
> 3000.........
> [barrabas:/usr/src]# fbset -i
>
> mode "name"
> # H: 20.703 kHz, V: 52.546 Hz
> geometry 1056 344 1056 992 4
> timings 39722 40 24 39 9 96 2
> endmode
>
> Frame buffer device information:
> Name : `VGA+'
> Address : 0xb8000
> Size : 32768
> Type : CGA/EGA/VGA Color text
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Visual : PSEUDOCOLOR
> XPanStep : 0
> YPanStep : 8
> YWrapStep : 0
> LineLength : 264
> Acceleration: None

Thats VGA text mode, not a graphics mode!

> On Xfree86
> ============
> (--) S3V: PCI: ViRGE/VX rev 2, Linear FB @ 0xec000000
> (--) S3V: chipset: ViRGE/VX rev. 2
> (--) S3V: chipset driver: s3_ViRGE
> (--) S3V: videoram: 4096k
> (--) S3V: Ramdac type: s3_trio64
> (--) S3V: Ramdac speed: 220 MHz (135 MHz for 32 bpp)
> (--) S3V: Using Trio32/64 programmable clock (MCLK 54.886 MHz)
> (--) S3V: Maximum allowed dot-clock: 135.000 MHz

Whether your hardware supports a linear frame buffer and your software (video
BIOS) supports a linear frame buffer are two different things.

Greetings,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be