Re: Kernel lockups with 2.0.3x

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 04:47:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Roman Drahtmueller wrote:

> Hmmm. Now go ahead and run the kernel with the "no-hlt" option,
> according to what Alan wrote about "keeping the CPU warm". Some older
> 486DX-100 (and for sure others, too) don't wake up properly any more.
> This could explain why MS-OSs don't produce this behaviour - the cpu
> usually loops when the box is idle.

I'm using an AMD-K6-200. I've used kernels 2.0.30 and up on this
machine. If I'm not in X I never have trouble. With RedHat 5.0
this problem did not exist. The only relevant difference I see
is:

1) New X windows with RedHat 5.1
2) New C compiler with RH 5.1

My AMD 486/66 was experiencing the same trouble, I've now
completely reinstalled RedHat 5.0 on it (instead of 5.1), I'm
using the supplied programs + KDE. Works fine. No lockups yet,
and I've done some nasty crash testing.

I'm almost positive it is a problem with X now.

> I'm having the same trouble here, but only on the 486 machine. It
> looks as if it's cured for now, but not sure yet. I was wondering if
> it has to do with X, too. Its server runs extremely stable (2.0.35),
> even though it is optimized as can be (870kB/s via NFS over 10BaseT,
> rocks!).
>
> Check Frank Gockel's memory-testing patch that passed by around 10
> days ago. It's a nice one.

Can you send me a URL for it?

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS. http://www.redhat.com