RE: L68K: vt.c in 2.1.111 (fwd)

Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 19:32:50 +0200 (MET DST)

From geert@mercator.cs.kuleuven.ac.be Mon Jul 27 09:52:39 1998
To: Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: vt.c in 2.1.111

On Sun, 26 Jul 1998 Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:
> The patch says
>
> + /* ++Geert: non-PC keyboards may generate keycode zero */
> +#if !defined(__mc68000__) && !defined(__powerpc__)
> /* assignment to entry 0 only tests validity of args */
> if (!i)
> break;
> +#endif
>
> but that is wrong, and this part of the patch should be reverted.

Can we please keep it like this for 2.2? Reverting it will break at least
Debian 2.0.

Hmm. Hardly a convincing argument. "Let us introduce a bug in the
kernel to compensate for a bug we introduced in Debian 2.0."

> (Or, without special value, some new ioctls have to be introduced.

I favor the new ioctl.

Very good then. Let us add a new pair of ioctls, now, immediately,
so that this part of the kernel becomes again (i) correct, and
(ii) architecture independent.

In 2.3.x we can continue our holy wars _and_ find a
solution for the `my keyboard has more than 128 (127?) keys' problem.
Yes, such keyboards exist!

It is easy enough to solve: instead of allocating chunks of size NR_KEYS=128,
we allocate chunks of size MAX_NR_OF_KEYS. Add an ioctl to get and set
MAX_NR_OF_KEYS, and all works again. We might do that immediately as well,
although I regard this as low priority.

(There is another thing that one might want to look into.
Roughly speaking the keyboard driver is extremely flexible and general,
willing to do almost anything, but in the area of dead keys there is
only a short fixed list of possible dead keys (I think 6 of them),
and the past few years I have repeatedly met people who needed more.
Especially for Vietnamese.)

> The special value is used for things like the control over
> allocation and deallocation of keymaps. Only loadkeys and dumpkeys
> know about it.)

And they were patched a very long time ago, too...

Yes, `patched' in the sense where correctness and functionality
is lost, but things still work more or less.
Let us do it right.