Re: Quick NetBEUI question

Tue, 28 Jul 1998 22:24:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > NetBEUI was Microsoft's temporary solution to connectivity when
> > Windows 3.x was developed. The idea was to be able to communicate
> > with other machines that ran Microsoft Networks (NETBIOS).
> >
> > As such, it encapsulated NETBIOS packets in TCP/IP. The Ethernet hardware
> > destination is always ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff. This means that will go
> > everywhere your LAN goes, and every packet will interrupt every
> > PC (where it has to be examined and dumped on the ground).\
>
> Unfortunately you are talking complete crap at this point. And anyone
> who suspects otherwise should stick their windows boxes in netbeui only
> mode and use tcpdump

You have such a nice way of explaining things, Alan.

ETHER: ----- Ether Header -----
ETHER:
ETHER: Packet 1 arrived at 21:53:58.64
ETHER: Packet size = 60 bytes
ETHER: Destination = ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, (broadcast)
ETHER: Source = 0:4f:49:4:dc:2c,
ETHER: Ethertype = 0800 (IP)
ETHER:
IP: ----- IP Header -----
IP:
IP: Version = 4
IP: Header length = 20 bytes
IP: Type of service = 0x10
IP: xxx. .... = 0 (precedence)
IP: ...1 .... = low delay
IP: .... 0... = normal throughput
IP: .... .0.. = normal reliability
IP: Total length = 40 bytes
IP: Identification = 2642
IP: Flags = 0x4
IP: .1.. .... = do not fragment
IP: ..0. .... = last fragment
IP: Fragment offset = 0 bytes
IP: Time to live = 62 seconds/hops
IP: Protocol = 6 (TCP)
IP: Header checksum = 4169
IP: Source address = 204.178.47.217, dhcp-address-47-217.analogic.com
IP: Destination address = 204.178.47.166, dhcp-address-47-166.analogic.
IP: No options
IP:
TCP: ----- TCP Header -----
TCP:
TCP: Source port = 1022
TCP: Destination port = 20480
TCP: Sequence number = 137227594
TCP: Acknowledgement number = 1293706515
TCP: Data offset = 20 bytes
TCP: Flags = 0x10
TCP: ..0. .... = No urgent pointer
TCP: ...1 .... = Acknowledgement
TCP: .... 0... = No push
TCP: .... .0.. = No reset
TCP: .... ..0. = No Syn
TCP: .... ...0 = No Fin
TCP: Window = 31744
TCP: Checksum = 0x9528
TCP: Urgent pointer = 0
TCP: No options
TCP:

Looks like TCP/IP (in the IP header). The Ethernet Header is sent
to the (hardware) broadcast address. I used Sun's 'snoop' because
this is the only machine not served by one of (your?) 3C?? switches
used to isolate this kind of "spread spectrum" networking.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.111 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).